Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Gluten-Free Mini Vanilla Cupcakes


Cupcakes have always been one of my favourite treats. One time when I was visiting my sister in London (prior to my gluten-free transition), I experienced the most insane cupcake craving you could ever imagine. I insisted we find a cupcake shop NOW. After indulging in a cookies 'n' cream cupcake with buttercream frosting, I found myself wanting more. Of course we turn the corner and there's another cupcake shop where I purchased a box of three deluxe cupcakes (some for after dinner of course). My point here is, I love cupcakes. 

I now know that following a gluten-free diet doesn't mean giving up that personal sized cake decorated just the way you like it. I first baked these cupcakes as full-sized, but I found them quite dense and filling - I suppose that's because almond flour has more protein and fat than wheat flour does. The solution: mini cupcakes! They really were the perfect bite-sized treat to bring to a friend's birthday party.

Ingredients:
3 cups almond flour/meal
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
3 large eggs (room temperature so they don't cause the butter to harden and clump)
2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a mini cupcake pan with mini baking cups.
In a large bowl, combine almond flour, baking soda, and salt.
In a separate bowl, whisk together melted butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix well.
Spoon batter into cupcake tins, filling 3/4 of the cup.
Bake 10-12 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the middle should come out clean.
Wait a few minutes before transferring cupcakes to a cooling rack. Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment